Monday, September 19, 2011

NY Post Office

Untitled-Scanned-01

On Sunday I had about an hour to walk around midtown before joining the comic book meetup group at the Skyline Diner, so I whipped out the SX-70 and started snapping.

The first image I captured (above) is the main branch of the NY Post Office in midtown Manhattan. It is a monstrous building so in order to get a sense of scale I included some people that were hanging out on the steps in the lower right hand corner of the image.

Next I took a picture of a pretty girl who was doing some studying on a more secluded side of the building. It did not come out all that great, so I will not sully her with a sub-par image, but it was great practice to ask a stranger if I could take their picture. I have done it before, but I should do it more often.

Yes, I joined a comic book meetup group. Maybe a little dorky, but, but it was so much fun! Comics and graphic novels have really grown on me the last few months and I am amassing a nice collection. I have even started a comics blog, should you want to check it out.

Well, that is it for tonight!

flickr photos

2 comments:

  1. I am interested in street photography, and always wanted to try to capture portraits of the faces of strangers in the street such as food vendors and so forth. but sometimes I still hesitate to ask the strangers so especially when shooting alone. but, slowly but sure I keep trying to practice my public speaking skills. nice shot anton... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kelvin. I wish the SX-70 functioned just a little better (either that or I should try some better film).

    Totally talk to strangers. Generally people have been either indifferent or flattered when I asked if I could take their picture. A confident approach is key.

    ReplyDelete