Sunday, December 11, 2011

Anachronism IV: Sasha: Fire Gypsy (part 1)

Untitled-Scanned-01

On Sunday, December 4th, I went to the fourth Anachronism event at Webster Hall in New York City.  Holga 120N in tow, I was determined to get some great pictures.
I would say the entertainment this event was stronger, but for whatever reason I thought the people at the last show were more fun.

Despite my last observation I had a great time and enjoyed myself immensely.  I feel that the set of pictures of the Fire Gypsy, Sasha, is my strongest work in a long, long time.

I dub the above photograph with the rather pedestrian title "Fire Goddess".  Sasha did a phenomenal job entertaining the crowd and I had a great time photographing her.  This image is but a pale reflection on the majesty of her performance.

To achieve the image I dragged my shutter, meaning that I let the flash expose her, but kept the shutter open so the flames would continue to write on the film.  I think the final result is pretty trippy.

All of the photos in the series were obtained with this technique, and I will be posting them over the next few entries.

After I wrap up my Anachronism IV photos I plan on writing a photo essay that I have been kicking around in my head for the past week or so.

Stay tuned.


flickr photos

No comments:

Post a Comment